944 Turbo '87 Young man's first Porsche

Lägg upp en egen tråd och presentera din bil och dina projekt.
Olli951
S2-Poster
Bilmodell: Saknar en Porsche

944 Turbo '87 Young man's first Porsche

#1 Post by Olli951 »

Since my son is a poor student, the only possible way to buy a 944 was to get a project car. These cars are much more expensive here in Finland, because of the worlds third highset car taxation.

This project came for sale at the end of last year. We considered it, but the asking price was not too attractive for us. We forgot it, but in February we found out it was bought by a guy with whom i have done some parts business earlier. He bouht this car to breake it for parts.

He had already sold steering rack, brakes, and some other minor parts. Luckily we managed to trade this car for some extra parts i had in my store and what he needed for his 911 project, so total we paid for it was just some parts worth few hundred euros.

We saw this car in "live" early in March, vistited thre several times and wondered would it be wise to get it or not.Well, the desicion was made and first step was to trailered it home.

This 944 Turbo was sold 31.12.1987 in Switzerland by Amag in Schinznach-Bad; Aargau. First owner lived in Hergiswill. Car was sold in 1998 to Sweden ( under registernumber PGK-804, in Sundbyberg) and it was imported to Finland 2005. Soon after that it suffered the classical engine fire syndrome. Car has been sitting ever since

I like to use pictures, so hope you have enough bandwidth :D

First step at home was to drive some electricty to power windows to get them closed. Car has been sitting for years because of the engine fire. Last few months it has been outdoors with open windows.

Now my son was able to wash the car. Next step is to remove the rest of the interior, drop off the whole undercarriage. All undercarriage parts will be media blasted, and poweder coated; aluminium parts with clear powder. Also engine room needs a lot of attention because the fire damage. First a total clean up procedure and new fresh paint. We have a spare hood which also needs some fresh Diamond Blue paint, because it's Satin Black Metallic. Lot's of work to do; luckily i have a lot of spare parts to accomplish this project. This is a father-son project and a good learning possibility to my son.Remains me when i started to work with cars with my own father

Couple of months ago, my son wondering, will this be a wise move at all to buy this?

In April:

Time flies, the same spot in the '90's

Back in April

Because i am just about to start my new business, i have been too busy to help my son.

Some progress though, we removed at the end of April the rest of the interior and dropped off the front suspension and few other parts for clean up and rebuild. Now just have to remove all the rest pieces from engine compartment, so it can be re-painted. A friend of mine promised to do it. Should get good results since he is a professional hot rod builder. http://www.herstiautoshop.com/koti.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Few picturs from April:

Most of the interior removed.Burgundy will be changed to linen

Removed front suspension and few other parts

One night sleep, and story continues. Dissassembled most of the frontend. Only few electric wires left. When we removed the wires we will wash the engine bay with pressure washer and then we can start to prepare it for a fresh paint.

We also managed to find quite many missing parts for son's project. Brake system missed booster, but a friend have some extra ones, so we get one for a good price.Another friend gave us a good steerinck rack. Brake caliper issue has to be solved, but another friend of mine fabricate a kit like this for my son, so it will be a guideline to caliper selection

Some more. We removed last of the wiring harness from engine room including the fuse box. Today some elbowe grease, washed the wheel wells, bottom, engine room etc. Tomorrow we will start to prepare engine room for the new paint.

Got most of the 22+ years road dirt away from wheel wells

My son sanded the engine room first with 180 then 240, 600 & 1000 grid papers. It's more or less ready for new paint.
Junior in action:

Now we are going to dropp of transaxle & torque tube for some cleaning and new parts. The engine room will be painted next week if weather will get little bit warmer.
Last edited by Olli951 on 2010-05-11 13:56:41, edited 1 time in total.
Olli
-88 951 3.0L 16V

Nahpets
Addict

Re: Young mans first Porsche

#2 Post by Nahpets »

Wonderful thread !

About the brake caliper adapters: does your friend sell adapters holding 928 GTS calipers to 951 spindles and what price?
I might need a pair.

Terveisin
Stephan

patand
Moderator & Raceputte
Bilmodell: 924 Turbo
Årsmodell: 1980

#3 Post by patand »

Nice thread! :D

But please update the header of the thread so that it conforms to the standard used under "Våra Bilar". :)
Patrik PCS #9071
http://www.patandracing.se" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.avanceradforarkurs.se/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sponsorer: http://www.utzon.se" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.racingdekaler.se" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Porsche 931|Club Sport
Porsche 931|Nr 2 [SÅLD]
Porsche 924/944 Bieber Cab [SÅLD]

Ducati
Turbo-Poster

#4 Post by Ducati »

That is my old car!

What I heard the oil-pick up broke and the camshaft siezed
I've got some picture I took of it when I sold it if you're interested
Last edited by Ducati on 2010-05-11 13:05:14, edited 1 time in total.
mvh
Niklas

BMW 540iAT -01
Ford Mustang FB 1967

bergodalvana
Addict
Telefon: 0761361306
Bilmodell: 951
Årsmodell: 1986

#5 Post by bergodalvana »

Kan nog bli rejs av det där :)
951 Turbo SS "televerket racing"
Saab 900 2.0T -96 "speedparts edition"
944 -85 "rosenrot racing" (såld)
944 -84 "tysken" (krockad)
944Sverige medlem: 1780
PCS:11959

"its not the fart that kills - its the smell"

CS
S-Poster
Bilmodell: 996 C2
Årsmodell: Vet ej

#6 Post by CS »

Good luck with the restoration. It's nice to see cars being brought back to life! :D
964 C4 -92 Såld
968 CS -93 Såld
996 C2 -98 Helt såld på!

Olli951
S2-Poster

Re: 944 Turbo '87 Young man's first Porsche

#7 Post by Olli951 »

This 951 was already going into parts when we saved it. Guy who bought it from Niklas had collected most of the parts which were damaged in engine fire which happened during test drive of the newly build engine. Also that new engine was a disaster, badly build with wrong non alusil compatible pistons. That engine did not includ the deal. Car was sold to a friend of mine few months ago, and he sold some parts from it. We just tought car was too good to put in to parts, body is still in very good condition. Since i have quite lot 951 parts, this would not be too difficult project to accomplish.
We removed almost the transmission and rest of the parts from rear end today, ran out of time, but we will finished it tomorrow. Then parts will be media blasted and powder coated with clear powder. All bolts, nuts etc. will be replaced by newly yellow passived ones, which we have taken from several other 951's, so undercarriage will be look more or less new. I also took a LSD & cooled 951 transmission from my parts "collection".
Niklas, i will PM you later today, would be nice to know more of this cars history :)

What comes to caliper adapters, we can offer all kind of different 951 adapters. Just tell me your needs.
Olli
-88 951 3.0L 16V

Jaskas
S-Poster

#8 Post by Jaskas »

This project is looking great. And the Finnish brakeadapter-CNC wizard is a blessing for Nordic Porsche guys. He is building a 996 brake kit for my 911 -87. He can machine what ever you want!

More of his products here: http://gallery.9xx-parts.com/index.php?category=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ex-944S2
911-87 mit der V-ram

Olli951
S2-Poster

#9 Post by Olli951 »

Removed transaxle & torque tube yesterday

Olli
-88 951 3.0L 16V

Beern
NA-Poster

#10 Post by Beern »

looks good. Good to see old cars get back their life! :d
17 år, fra Norge!
Hvit 944 fra 1988
The volume control is the pedal on the right side!
Sjekk ut min tråd![url]http://www.944sverige.com/forum/viewtop ... 17&t=21357[/url]

Olli951
S2-Poster

#11 Post by Olli951 »

Some progress today. Since it was 27C today, it was a perfect day some fresh paint. A friend of mine did a quality job, we could have sanded it better....
We are pleased of the result, after all it's an engine room.

Some masking

Paint we used

My friend in action

Owner of 951 looks everything goes as planned

After 4 coats of Audi-Blue it's time for some clearcoat

After 3 coats of clear lacquer

Painter's daily driver

Olli
-88 951 3.0L 16V

gurra
Sponsor

#12 Post by gurra »

Wow, looks super nice.
So will the complete car be painted in this audi blue?
Revline Racing // - http://www.revline.se" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PCS #6556
http://www.youtube.com/user/RevlineRacing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Olli951
S2-Poster

#13 Post by Olli951 »

Gustaf,
Audi LM5U is the same as Porsche Diamant Blau Metallic. We bought Audi version because paint shop have Porsche mixing formula only for "Water Colors". They found Audi codes for old fashioned toxic paints as well.
Olli
-88 951 3.0L 16V

gurra
Sponsor

#14 Post by gurra »

Olli951 wrote:Gustaf,
Audi LM5U is the same as Porsche Diamant Blau Metallic. We bought Audi version because paint shop have Porsche mixing formula only for "Water Colors". They found Audi codes for old fashioned toxic paints as well.
Aha. Yes toxic paint is the way to go.
Revline Racing // - http://www.revline.se" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PCS #6556
http://www.youtube.com/user/RevlineRacing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DLS
Addict
Bilmodell: 944 Turbo
Årsmodell: 1990

#15 Post by DLS »

gurra wrote:
Aha. Yes toxic paint is the way to go.
:mrgreen:
Johan
PCS: 9407
[url=http://www.944sverige.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4256]Porsche 944 Turbo -90[/url]